Monday, March 18, 2013

The Best USB battery pack for travel | The Wirecutter

The Best USB battery pack for travel | The Wirecutter

TUAW’s Kelly Hodgkins touted the Energy Station 10000’s long lasting power, saying “On more than one occasion, I charged my iPad to an acceptable level and then handed the Satechi to my husband who used it to charge his iPhone while he was away for the morning. When he returned, I could then finish off the iPad charge cycle and still have 20 percent left on the power pack.”
GottaBeMobile’s Kevin Purcell was also impressed by what the Energy Station 10000 had to offer, noting that he “…I tested the Satechi 10000 mAh Portable Energy Station by charging up my Samsung Galaxy Note to 100 percent and charging the Satechi to 100 percent. I plugged my Note into the Satechi and then used it heavily. With the Note’s battery and the Satechi’s battery my phone lasted for over 30 hours. My Note normally lasts 6-8 hours by itself, so the Satechi gave me another 22 hours of battery life. That’s saying something since few charging solutions can charge the Note when used the way I normally use it.”
Gadling’s Kraig Becker called the battery a great travel option and said it was “small, lightweight and highly packable.” There were also favourable reviews for the Energy Station 10000 from Gadget Review, Tech Reaction, AppAdvice.com, and travel site Vagabond Dish.
The Wirecutter’s own Brian Lam owns one too. In one of the emails he shot me after finding out that the Energy Station 10000 proved to be the best pick out of everything I tested, he told me “I love the Satechi, by the way. It packs really well. The square ones piss me off. The other great thing about the it is that you can stand it up in a bag pocket and the plugs hang out the top.” So there’s that.
But it’s Not Perfect
There were a few things about it that I didn’t like.
For starters, the battery’s relatively light weight comes at a cost: Its shell is made entirely out of plastic. While that’s not a deal-breaker, the fact that the plastic is of a particularly light and cheap feeling variety makes me wonder how well it’ll stand up to wear and tear. I can tell you that its shiny black and silver surface are a fingerprint and scuff magnet. But this doesn’t negate any of the thing’s functionality, so not a big deal.
Slightly more annoying is the fact that it uses mini USB instead of the now-ubiquitous micro USB. It's better not to have to carry multiple different types of cables and if your cables work interchangeably between devices, all the better in case you lose one.
I also don’t like the fact that the charging adapters that it comes with are so small and easy to lose. Satechi includes a drawstring pouch that’ll hold the battery and all of its various cables and bits, but meh, it feels cheap. It likely won’t matter though. If you’re anything like me, you’ve got more than one cable to charge your favourite devices with, so the cable and adapter heads that the Energy Station 10000 ships will will likely wind up in a drawer a few days after you buy one.
Furthermore, in dim light, and in direct sunlight, I found it hard to read the text under the USB ports that tells you which was the low-powered port and which was the high-powered one. But I think we can file that under nit-picking.
It should be noted that while I didn’t have any issues with the Energy Station 10000 during testing, iLounge’s Nick Guy did. He had a hard time getting the battery to take a charge with its included accessory cable, had issues with its charge indicator lights and felt, given the Satechi’s charging time, that it wasn’t actually providing a full 2 amps of power from its USB ports. I reckon Nick must have wound up with a defective unit, given that the rest of the editorial reviews for the Energy Station 10000 are overwhelmingly positive. I did manage to find an Amazon customer who felt that he was only getting maybe 5000mAh out of the battery, but he was willing to admit that he may very well have received a unit with a dud cell or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment